Developed by Joseph Pilates in the 1920's Pilates is suitable for all ages and ability due to its low impact and intensity. Consisting of slow moves using abdominal control and breathing Pilates can be aerobic and non-aerobic form of exercise with no sweating or straining just deep concentration to control the body through each movement with emphasis on your core strength to improve general fitness and wellbeing.
Benefits to the Body
- Lengthens and stretches major muscle groups targeting stomach, legs and arms making you stronger overall.
- Improves muscle tone and core strength enhancing muscular control of your back and limbs.
- Improves mobility and flexibility of joints.
- Improved stabilisation of spine and joints reducing risk of injury.
- Improving posture.
- Helping with your coordination and balance.
- Increases lung capacity and circulation through deep breathing
- Improved concentration and body awareness.
- Help you maintain a healthy weight
- Stamina improves making you feel more energised
- Helps lower stress and gives relaxation and better sleep
Conditions Pilates can benefit
- Rehabilitation of injuries relating to muscle imbalances
- Rehabilitation of join and spinal injuries
- Targets problematic areas such as neck, shoulders, backs, hips and knees
- Help with reduced levels of mobility and associated conditions.
Yoga is an ancient Indian practice that dates back thousands of years. It essentially relies on structured poses whilst practising breathing awareness. Yoga is known for its lowering of stress levels, increasing feelings of happiness and wellbeing which arises from concentrating on the postures and the breathing in a form of meditation. It is suitable or all ages and abilities.
Bringing your mind and body together through exercise, breathing and meditation giving improved body control.
Benefits to the Body
- Encourages mobility and flexibility
- Improves posture
- Improves cardiovascular fitness and circulation.
- Speeds up a sluggish digestion system
- Improves circulation
- Reduces stress, anxiety and fatigue
- Increased energy levels
Conditions Yoga can benefit
- Normalising blood pressure
- Reducing back pain
- Lowering stress levels